Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Well, That's One Way to Do it..

When I left off, I had just described the thrilling move in process.  (It's amazing to me that you've hung in here with me for this long!  Thanks!)  After that ordeal, I'm pretty sure the ISA staff knew that we were exhausted and gave us a day to recuperate and get a feel for the city ourselves.  The following day, however, they offered a hike for us to join in to the Piazza Michelangelo.  The Piazza Michelangelo is every tourist's dream come true.  It is located toward the outskirts of the city on a hill, offering a breathtaking view of the skyline.  I'm pretty sure there's not a brochure about Florence in existence that does not offer a picture from this Piazza.  
So, we'd been offered this hike opportunity from the ISA staff and I'm trying to figure out what they mean exactly by a "hike".  There's not exactly a whole lot of wilderness in these parts, but I wasn't going to just blow off the use of the word 'hike'.  So, readied with my handy dandy chacos and a water bottle (which I've refused to be parted with since Rome.  That's rookie mistake story for a later post.), I geared up for my newest adventure. 
The weather since arriving in Florence has been absolute divine- there's no other way of stating it.  We had cool weather and a gray sky.  I know most people favor blue skies and sunny days, but there's something about gray skies that just makes me feel like the world is on my side.  I was pumped and ready to go for this hike.  
We started out and, folks, make sure you're wearing comfortable shoes.  This is not a walk that should be taken lightly.  We stopped half-way up for a breather and I was questioning my survival and choice of study abroad destination.  The walk is essentially a glorified running trail, but at quite a steep incline and the length of the trail shouldn't be underestimated.  It's worth it, but come prepared.  I wasn't entirely, but still enjoyed the experience.  
We made it to the Piazza, but the staff said that they wanted to show us the church behind the piazza first, then come back down.  So, some huffing and puffing and a set of nasty stairs later and I was introduced to my favorite thing about this whole experience thus far.  
The Basilica di San Miniato al Monte.  It's simply wonderful.  I made a little home for myself up there for the afternoon.  If you think I'm kidding, read on.  When we got to the top, we received three surprises- first, the view from here was even better than the Piazza Michelangelo; second, there significantly fewer tourists in comparison to the rest of Florence which is a sweet relief and; third, there was a wedding going on!  

A significant portion of the girls in our group we're getting their candid camera on for that one, including your's truly.  Once we had all had our fill of creeping on the bride, we were able take in what was around us.  Whenever school starts to become too much, or when the leaves start to change colors, or when all the stars just seem to be correctly aligned, I can assure you that this is where you will find me.  It's peaceful.  It's beautiful.  It's just what you need to feel perfectly welcomed into your new city.  It's a safe haven.  
See what I mean?  A girl from my program, Brittany, and I decided to go explore around the basilica and we discovered the cemetery, which as weird as this may sound to say, was very much worth walking through.  It adds to the character of the church and I'm quite fond of it.  It's hard to say what's so appealing about my little discovery that day, but then again, I guess death should be appealing.  I mean, eternity with your heavenly Father has got to count for something!  Maybe all the serenity of the moment just went to my head, but if that's it, I hope it happens more often!  We took our time poking around the cemetery, hoping to wait out the wedding.  We didn't, but decided to poke our heads in, just to see.  We liked what we saw so much that we walked in a little farther and stood along the wall to look around without being a distraction.  And we ended up staying for the rest of the wedding.  And that's how I crashed an Italian wedding.  
It was a Catholic Mass, which Brittany had never had the pleasure of experiencing before (though everyone will tell you its the reception you have to look forward to ( : ) and I talked her through it.  I noticed a few differences between the Catholic wedding Masses I had experienced, but for the most part it was the same.  However, the crucial "You may now kiss the bride," was missing.  Bummer.  
Right after the ceremony, however, the gray skies turned to rain, and lacking umbrellas and jackets and facing a now wet walk entirely downhill, Brittany and I voted to stay where we were until the weather calmed down.  But it didn't.  Not for a while anyway.  So we were given the extended opportunity to explore every bit of the basilica, though it didn't fill the duration of the storm.  While it was great to wander this truly beautiful structure, I enjoyed the bonding experience more.  Brittany and I still didn't know each other very well and considering the setting and our differed faith backgrounds, it opened the floor for a solid faith discussion which I was immensely grateful for.  When you leave your comfort zone, you leave behind all the people you talk to about the things you most treasure.  You can't just throw those topics around with anybody!!  I am blessed to finally have found a somebody that I can really share and laugh with.  Especially because somehow I started singing "I Feel Good," at some point in the conversation- and that was O.K!
When the rain finally cleared, we headed down the hill and found nice spot for lunch and met a girl who had studied abroad before and gave us a cheat sheet about the places to hit up while we are here.  From there, we simply wandered and explored Florence.  Our highlight was probably the Ponte Vecchio.  
It's a bridge entirely lined with jewelry shops and at the half-way point is a gate around the bust of the guy who I believe is a founder of Florence.  Don't quote me on it.  The significance behind this is that people come here with their significant other and put locks on this gate with their name and lover's name on this gate.  Should you do this, according to local legend, you will be together forever.  I find it to be an endearing custom though I can't quite appreciate it fully.  Maybe someday, but for now, I'm good where I am.  I'm where I'm supposed to be and that brings me the happiness and fulfillment I need.  
Maybe some other time, little locks..
So, I guess to wrap up these musings, I'll say this- If you think that a little weather might get in the way of your plans, venture out anyway.  You never know where an afternoon caught in the rain will lead you.  
Here's wishing you're on your way to where you want and need to be!  
Love, Prayers, and Best Wishes from Florence!!
Sam

1 comment:

  1. Keep the updates coming! I love reading your blog - your writing style just draws me in and your experiences always sound amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete