Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I'll Start with an Apology, Then Tell You about Assisi

SORRY!!  It's been so long, I know, but life doesn't seem to know how to hold still here.  I'm almost halfway through my time here and my mind is cannot comprehend it at all.  I just really cannot believe it.

Anyway, now that I have air my apologies for the ultimate procrastination, I'll tell you about my trip to Assisi!  To give you a little indicator of this trip, I'll let the nickname of the city do it for me.  Assisi is called the City of Peace.  I could see why.

Assisi is, of course, famously known for its most famous residents, St. Francis and St. Clare.  You know you're in for a pretty solid day when you're hanging out with the likes of those two.

Assisi is simply just beautiful.  The city is divided into two different parts.  The older part of the city is built on a hill while the newer part is down in the valley.  The historic part of the city still clings to much of its medieval history.  The city is still surrounded by the city wall that was used to protect from invaders in the days of the Roman Empire and there are part of the city in which you can see the original Roman road.  Assisi has adapted quite well to modern times while preserving to much of its history.

Upon arriving, we were shown the general views from the city.  The valley is quite beautiful and the weather was entirely perfect.  I could see why you might want to spend your entire life in Assisi and use your life to glorify God.  There's a lot to glorify!
We then made our way to the Basilica of St. Clare.  St. Clare is interred  in the crypt of the Basilica and you are able to go down and see her resting spot.  At one point, her body was claimed as incorrupt by the Church, but now you can just see her relics over the spot where her body is kept.  It's pretty cool to be that close to St. Clare, but what I really appreciated was the reverence that was present.  I've seen a lot of churches since coming to Italy and usually the rule about silence in churches is completely disregarded.  People were actually coming here to spend some time in prayer.  I just really appreciated the intention and gesture.
From the Basilica we moved to the Assisi Cathedral, taking original Roman roads, as our guide LOVED to point out.  This is the church at which both St. Francis and St. Clare were baptized.  There must be something in the water.  Literally.  Another interesting water feature inside the church was that is housed an original Roman well.  Now I'm convinced- it's the water.  The outside of the church was also very interesting.  The facade has a lot of old Christian symbols that aren't always used today.  Many, according to our guide, are adapted from the Romans.  It cannot be impressed upon me enough just how old this church is- it's just a little over a hundred years shy of its 1,000th birthday.  If only walls could talk..

Next we wandered to an older part of the city and we were shown where the Assisi coliseum once stood.  It is now someone's garden.  Go figure, right?  Some baths (for laundry) were also close by and if you looked closely enough, you could still see the crests of the ruling that we responsible for the creation of the baths.  There was also a Roman bar-be-que grill is hanging around.  No big deal.

During our guided wandering, we were taken to the Piazza del Comune and shown the Temple of Minerva, or today, known as the Church of Santa Maria sopra Minerva.  This is one of few standing temples.  The original columns still stand.  The inside has been completely changed, but the point is here that the temple still stands!  I loved it.

Outside of the church was probably one of my favorite things I saw on the trip.  Assisi was hosting an art exhibition and to advertise the exhibit, they put one of the statues right outside the church in the piazza.  It was of a pregnant woman.  On her stomach was an etching of the world.  Our guide mentioned that she lights up at night and I can only imagine how awesome she looked at night.

From there our guide showed us his favorite views of the city.  He took us to a balcony tucked away are we were able to see most of the valley as well as a great view of the Basilica of St. Francis.  Made sure to get my model shot in for the day then we geared up to make our way down to St. Francis' Basilica.

The Basilica of St. Francis is absolutely breathtaking.  There is the Upper Church and the Lower Church.  In the Lower Church you can find the remains of St. Francis.  The art inside both of the churches is astounding. I would have liked to have spent some more time there, but hunger and a full bladder were making other demands.  I would also attempt to describe to you what being in the Basilica was like, but I don't have that much command over words.  No detail is overlooked.  There is so much grandeur, but not in an overwhelming fashion.  And even with all the people there, its still so calm.  The City of Peace lives up to its name.

The rest of my afternoon was simply wandering around and picking out souvenirs.  While I can't send a little peace of the city to my loved ones, I can send all my best intentions.  And you most certainly have them, my friend.

Pace e Bene,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. Hey lovely! I'm uber jealous! I bet Asissi was just as awesome as Loyola, Spain because following in the footsteps of saints is quite a humbling and prayerful experience! I also found it interesting that you visited a church called Santa Maria sopra Minerva...because there's definitely a church with the same name in Rome and I was also amazed when I visited it. Miss you tons! Greetings also to Kara if she is still with you when you read this! Wending you love from across the world!

    ReplyDelete